B&H Photo Video, founded in 1973 and located at 420 Ninth Avenue on the corner of West 34th Street in Manhattan, New York City, is the largest non-chain photo and video equipment store in the United States. Since its founding, B&H Photo has established itself as the place to go for the best prices and service for photographic, audio, video, computer, and home entertainment needs.
To efficiently manage its IT environment, B&H Photo Video decided to deploy Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2007 (SCCM), a Windows product that enables administrators to manage the deployment and security of devices and applications across the enterprise. Part of the Microsoft System Center 2012 systems management suite, SCCM 2012 discovers servers, desktops, tablets, and mobile devices connected to a network through Active Directory and installs client software on each node. It then manages application deployments and updates on a device or group basis, allowing for automated patching with Windows Server Update Services and policy enforcement with Network Access Protection.
To support this deployment, B&H Photo Video approached Microsoft, which in turn enlisted The Henson Group, a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner with extensive experience in System Center technology and a long history serving the IT needs of retail organizations.
A Henson Group System Center architect defined the scope of the engagement by mapping out a phased approach that included gathering functional and technical requirements, the subsequently managing the implementation.
The main deliverables for the project included:
Phase 1: Discovery & Deployment
- Capturing of SCCM 2012 business and technical requirements
- Discovery for AD, Network, Workstation (OSs, Models, Drivers), OS Provisioning, Reporting Requirements, and Processes/Procedures
- Review of B&H’s existing desktop environment (Image Creation/Update, Management Tools, Software Updates, Folder Redirection/Synchronization, User Profiles, Shares, Printers, Group Policies, User location, Collect Hardware refresh cycle, etc.)
- Creation of logical and physical architecture documentation for SCCM 2012 R2 and Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) including server/Virtual Machines, disk/SAN, and High Availability/Disaster Recovery specifications
- Creation of SCCM Container(s) in Active Directory
- Extension/verification of SCCM Schema Extensions
- Creation of SCCM service accounts, Servers/Virtual Machiens, and a Microsoft SQL instance
- Configuration of SQL TCP port for SCCM
- Installation of required roles and features for SCCM Server
Phase 2: Verification and Training
- Review and resolution of any SCCM alerts and event logs
- Provision of a list of monitors for SCCM Servers for monitoring
- Verification of inventory reports are functional
- Deployment of Windows update through SCCM via WSUS
- Deployment of one MSI to test collection to validate application/patch deployment
- Training, administration, and troubleshooting of BitLocker and AppLocker
- Knowledge Transfer , including special emphasis on the following topics:
Manage Sites Manage collections
Monitor site health
Configure software updates
Manage site communications
Manage boundary groups
Manage role-based security
Manage the software library and application catalog
Manage Clients Deploy clients
Manage client agent settings
Configuring SCCM end point protection for AV
Manage hardware inventory
Manage software inventory
Results & Benefits
The Henson Group successfully achieved the objectives for B&H’s implementation of System Center Configuration Manager 2012. The Henson Group’s discovery, design and deployment was completed within eight days, without disruption of the client’s business operations. Moving forward, B&H is now able to leverage a robust array of management capabilities, including, but not limited to Software Deployment , Operating System Deployment , Software / Hardware Inventory and others to streamline the IT department’s day-to-day tasks.
Meanwhile, Henson Group supported the IT organization with the expert mentoring and cross-training the client’s IT staff needed. The business successfully met its deployment goals.
- Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2012 R2
Contacts Us Today!
To request a free consultation to learn how your organization can realize similar benefits and gains with Microsoft System Center deployment services provided by preferred Microsoft Gold Partner The Henson Group, please email Info@HensonGroup.com or call +1.800.980.1130.