Based in Riverview, FL, BlueGrace Logistics is a technology, transportation and logistics company providing logistics technology and transportation management services.
Priding itself on putting customer needs at the forefront of its business, BlueGrace fields a seasoned team of industry experts and best-in-class technology to drastically innovate and improve shipping processes. As such, BlueGrace invests in maintaining a state-of-the-art technology infrastructure to streamline and transform its customers’ logistics and shipping functions.
BlueGrace’s environment is supported by Microsoft Azure, a cloud computing platform and infrastructure, created by Microsoft, for building, deploying and managing applications and services through a global network of Microsoft-managed and Microsoft partner hosted datacenters. It provides both PaaS and IaaS services and supports many different programming languages, tools and frameworks, including both Microsoft-specific and third-party software and systems.
As part of its ongoing IT diligence, BlueGrace sought to adopt the latest Azure-related innovations, approaching Microsoft. Microsoft enlisted The Henson Group, a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner with extensive experience in Azure and a long history serving the IT needs of the shipping and logistics industry.
BlueGrace sought to implement optimizations based on best practices related to a shortlist of powerful technologies. This included Azure Redis Cache, based on the popular open-source Redis cache. It gives you access to a secure, dedicated Redis cache, managed by Microsoft and accessible from any application within BlueGrace’s Azure environment.
Henson Group also provided extensive guidance on implementing best practices for the Web Apps feature in Azure App Service, which would enable BlueGrace developers to rapidly build, deploy, and manage powerful websites and web apps. This includes building standards-based web apps and APIs using .NET, Node.js, PHP, Python, and Java.
Part of BlueGrace’s mandate was leveraging the latest best practices and optimization methods for Microsoft Azure Traffic Manager, allowing BlueGrace to control the distribution of user traffic to specified endpoints, which can include Azure cloud services, websites, and other endpoints. Traffic Manager works by applying an intelligent policy engine to Domain Name System (DNS) queries for the domain names of your Internet resources.
BlueGrace also requested optimization of the “Azure: Windows Azure Pack” featuring SQL Always on Availability Groups.
This service supports SQL Server in high availability using AlwaysOn, so when a tenant in BlueGrace’s Azure environment uses the service, the database is automatically placed in an AlwaysOn Availability Group.
Results & Benefits
The Henson Group helped BlueGrace implement best practices for the optimal performance of its Azure environment, including Azure Redis Cache, SQL Server Always On, and several other innovations. This included:
- Comprehensive Azure Environment Review and provide knowledge transfer for maximizing performance and high availability
- Guidance and recommendations for Azure Web apps and Traffic Manager best practices
- Knowledge Transfer explaining and imparting Azure VM Disks best practices
- Deep dive into SQL Server Always On on Azure VM best practices
- Step by step guidance for automating UAT / QA environments using CD/CI of TFS 2013
- Azure Redis Cache discussion and implementation guidance
- Assessment study of application source code to identify and replace SQL server functionalities by Storage or Service Bus queues in worker role
- Pilot run – Host sample application and capture and compare the Performance parameters using New Relic (or similar tool) and compare against Rackspace
- Pilot run – Azure backup vault configuration for VM and restore across different region. Implementation details documentation if this approach suited for the current environment.
Today, BlueGraceis experiencing much better infrastructure performance with the Azure cloud solution.
The project was completed within two months.
- Microsoft Azure Redis Cache
- Azure Web apps and Traffic Manager
- Azure: Windows Azure Pack” featuring SQL Always on Availability Groups.
To request a free consultation to learn how your organization can realize similar benefits and gains with Microsoft Azure deployment services provided by preferred Microsoft Gold Partner The Henson Group, please email Info@HensonGroup.com or call 1.800.980.1130.